Saturday, May 03, 2008

Training Wheels Removed

Life as a parent is like this...your child comes to you one day and says mom take the training wheels off my bike but you don't think they are ready. So the child asks dad who is all for the idea. However someone, dad, has to hold onto the seat to help the child keep balance. All the while mom runs along side cheering the child on. The child falls off the bike time and time again, mom picks them up slaps a band-aide on the wound and dad takes hold of the seat again.

Yesterday we let go of Princess A's seat and I stopped running along side. She had to sail down the road of life solo, like a big kid, making decisions for herself, by herself. She did great. But, somehow I know she knows I am still there willing to help if she falls and can't get up. That's what mom's do. Somehow I think she'll do fabulous taking on some big hills, knowing just what gear to switch into to reach the top a little easier.

In her wallet is her new college ID and pinned on her bulletin board is her college course schedule.

I'm excited beyond words for my Princess. Excited with an impending leaner bank account. A matter of fact my bank account lightened by $45 when I graciously purchased college logo wear at the book store.

No comments: