Saturday, May 17, 2008

Reunion of Another Kind

I started my morning with the annual, customary and somewhat required appearance at the school district carnival. Princess A being a senior took the out on rising early to add a touch of flute to the band's musical march down the street. M however had do to her duty with band as a member of the color guard. So there I stood street side as a spectator.

We left D at the carnival to enjoy friends, nasty carny rides, foods and sun (something we aren't use to these days). She had a blast.

The rest of us went to King Ralph's family reunion.

If I may, I would like to share a few things you should never hear at a family reunion:

Unknown relative: there sure are a lot of good dessert here

Another unknown relative: ya but I am here for the good looking women

Eeeeeekkkkk! Does this nut case not realize he is at a family reunion. M was concerned family members with 5 arms and 2 heads were the future of her father's family.

Then as I sat quietly listening I hear a gentleman tell another, "I married into the family I made a bad mistake". I was about to see if there was a lawyer amongst us to help ease this poor soul's misery.

The thing that gets us all is there is no mixing of the clans. King Ralph's family reunion is derived from his grandmother and her two sisters. It is a silent rule that you do not fraternize with the other sister's families. It like the Bloods and The Crips--best to separate to keep harmony. Truth is we are the fun bunch. We had thermoses of pina coldas and strawberry daiquiris. We had hoosier golf , washers and the dice game Left-Right-Center. The other clans watched like hawks about to attack there prey as we played hoosier golf. As soon as we finished and walked away they pounced at the opportunity to play. Same with the washers. We invited some other clan members to join us for our dice game...can't have that communing of the clans, besides they were busy enjoying standing one guy in front of a pitching net and pelting him with wiffle balls. Next year I say we wear t-shirts and bandannas to state which gang we belong to.

But, I am saving my favorite family reunion ditty for last. There was a man in a suit. At the park. Under the pavilion. Everyone else was wearing shorts and t-shirts; it was 84* outside, with bright, blazing sunshine. Finally I said "what's with the dude in the suit". It turns out it was Cousin Roy, who thinks he may die at any moment and wants to be prepared in dress should he--in the words of Fred Sanford, have the big one. Since the reunion was at Jefferson Barracks Park, also the home our our national cemetery we figured there was sure to be a fresh dug hole somewhere should he decide to go and make use of his perfectly good twenty-five year old suit.

Only in the King's family can you experience a reunion like that!

No comments: