Saturday, February 09, 2008

Jumping for Jesus

We took the Youth Group downtown to the Survive Dare 2 Share convention. It was a gathering of Christians of all faiths--although as the conservative Lutherans who witness faith in a quieter fashion, God certainly did plop us down into a mosh pit of born again Christians. No offense meant I respect everyone’s denomination of faith and how those chose to express it. Some of the messages expressed--our group just didn't jive with. This doesn't mean that fun was not had, because it certainly was. It brings up questions that young people need to answer. Some speakers grasped the attention (like ex-Colts linebacker Derwin Gray) more than others and the Christian rock bands got claps and cheers. Lives were touched.

I have to say that the after lunch sex presentation left Steve (my leader partner) and I a little scared. I mean an amish dude popping out of a box with an accordian rapping about STD's and crotch bugs that make you itch was just a bit too much for us. I understand the need to preach to teens that their bodies are there temples and deserve to be treated as such. Just not by the use of a amish dude rapping about disease and crotch bugs. Why an amish dude? (I keep hearing Steve's voice in my head as I type saying "ooooh brother") Then the speaker went on to tell the kids how their parents are having "hot sex" and "lots of it all the time"--because that is what "married" people do. Truth lays there--the married part, not necessarily the hot or all the time. I was doing okay with the idea that my girls didn't think there parents did it at all--or just three times.

Then I began to feel like I was no longer at a convention and suddenly plopped down into a revival. I dare to share. I have no problem telling someone I believe in Christ. So when the convention asked the attendees to go door to door collecting canned goods followed by the question "do you know where you are going next, heaven or hell"--we declined, felt it was not our youth groups calling. Really if someone came to my door asking me such a question I would think coo-coo, nut-so in the neighborhood. When we returned after "our" long break of picture taking and pizza, we got to hear people witness the experiences they had of "saving" people through the can good collection. I don't know if I should call myself cynical for thinking this but...I really don't believe that you can ask someone for a can good donation ask them if they are going to heaven or hell, preach the gospel on the door step and suddenly you stand before a person saved through Christ or canned corn. Isn't going from a non-believer to a believer a journey? Well, that is what I believe. So, when the young man got up and said he witnessed "five salvations" by the mere passing off of chicken noodle soup in a can...I started to feel in my heart something was being lost in translation here. Very well someone may have been down and out that day, the faces on there door step may have given cause to reevaluate life but to say one person witnessed the salvation of five lives....

Instead we decided God's calling for us was to bond. Just be silly, crazy and have some fun. So we call this one--Jumping for Jesus.

THE GIRLS


THE GUYS


THOSE THAT LEAD


THE FACE OF TWO WEARY CRAZED ADULTS