Sunday, August 20, 2006

Remember way back in time -- 1971-- when the world was signing the Coca-Cola jingle "I'd Like to Buy The World a Coke"? Well my family is on a plea for the world to buy coke and give us your coke reward points.

For a long time I just pitched to the trash all those bottle caps and 12 pack packaging with there mysterious secret letter and number codes. Then one day I decided to register and see what all these points could get us. The usual small stuff was available; for 11 points one can get a 20 oz bottle of coke. For a few more points a movie and popcorn from Blockbuster along with an assortment of other lovely prizes increasing in point value. Prizes I suppose one could almost procure at lesser the price than it would take to obtain by purchasing a bevy of Coca-Cola. But that would defeat the challenge it gives to all. Talk about marketing genius!

So I told my family why dream small let's dream BIG. Let's dream 26,000 reward points big!

What can one attain for a mere 26,000 reward points? The Great Family Trip-RV America.
Package Includes: One week Standard RV rental for a party of five (based on pick up and drop off at sponsor designated RV rental facility closest to member's home market) Gasoline allowance of 200 gallons. Generator fees included. Seven night campground fees. $1,000 spending money to be used towards RV mileage.

Now this has become a sick sort of obsession. Yesterday I called my elderly neighbor and told her for all the years I have changed her light bulbs I can't continue to do so unless she is willing to relinquish to her good neighbor her Coke reward points. Being afflicted with arthritis she agreed without argument, as she saw it to be a good deal. Then today while working at my brother's newly acquired house I saw an empty Coke 12 pack box, quickly nabbing the reward code for my own benefit I slid the code in my back pocket in a hush-hush manner. I'm telling you all I'm beginning to think I need therapy...And a Diet Coke.

Maddi came up with the brillant criminal plan of breaking into the grocery store at night and removing all the point codes from the packaging. How criminal can it be when we leave the product? Then we decided we would end up on that "stupid crime list" that is complied every year and spreads through email boxes like a bad fire. So we bagged the idea as fast as it was dreamed up. Demi thought maybe dumpster diving could pull us in a few needed points. Alee said not an option she didn't have the right outfit for such an event. So we're going at it the honest way, one coke at a time.

So to date we have managed to drink (beg and steal) 154 reward points. Subtract that from 26,000 we need and we are just a few --okay okay 25,846-- points away from cruising America RV style.

Or as Maddi put... "25, 846 rotting our liver points away from cruising America RV style."

"Have a Coke and a Smile"

No comments: