Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I crawled in bed near midnight leaving Maddi in front of the TV as desired. My theory was let her be totally exhausted so when I wake her in the morning to hit the road at 6am she will be to tired to care about what was going to occur.

So there I lay dreaming about trying new blush colors at a department store make up counter when the dream was interrupted at 5am by the sounds of Kevin running the shower; my sleep broke reminding me of what the days agenda was.

We woke Maddi with just enough spare time to brush her teeth before going from bed to car in her new PJ's-- which I might add are absolutely adorable.

We were just merging onto Highway 40 when I got a glimpse of a tear rolling down her cheek. My theory of being to tired to care didn't go as I thought.

We arrived at the surgery center at 630am for a 730am surgery. At 7am I turned to Kevin and said as repeat customers of the eye surgery experience I would think she should be getting prepped. With that a nurse approached us inquiring what time Maddi's was scheduled and what time we were told to be at the surgery center, only to find out that the surgery was scheduled for 830am. Unfortunately that is not what our papers told us. So their Maddi was left with more time to expand on her fears and the tears began to stream in a silent and gentle manner.

Finally at 8am Maddi was being prepped for surgery. Dr. Ryan came in to greet us, start Maddi’s IV and give her a medicated patch behind her ear that would help reduce the nausea she had in her previous surgery from an adverse reaction to anesthetic. Dr. Ryan is quite handsome, so easy on the eyes I was almost willing to take the IV for Maddi ;-) LOL No more did he leave her curtained area did she begin crying. He returned with a does of "happy juice" guaranteed to calm her anxiety...calm it did not. I leaned down kissed her on the head and softly spoke in her ear reminding her God protects all those he loves and since he loves everyone she was well protected and would be okay planting yet another kiss this one on her cheek. She begged us to take her home. Her fear then turned to trembles, which Maddi was sure meant she was freezing cold, before you know it she was layered 5 warm blankets deep and still shivering. At 845am Rose (Dr. Blatt's assistant) stopped in to check on Maddi before surgery and one look at Maddi and Rose was filled with tears. I looked at Rose and said "oh no, only one of us is allowed to cry today and that does not mean you or me"

At 10am a nurse appeared to let us know Dr. Blatt was just about finished with her surgery. At 1045am he met us and let us know all was well, he only worked on her right eye by tightening the upper muscles and shortening the outer muscles, she was patched on the right eye and should remain patched till tomorrow. Despite the extra measures they took to constrict the capillaries and control her excessive bleeding nature he said she still bleeds more than usual patient. I only pray that when the eye patch comes off tomorrow she doesn't look like she lost a fight with Mike Tyson (as she did last time from the excessive bleeding) When we asked Dr. Blatt is she was done with surgeries he was quite sure this should do the trick for her and no more future surgery. I do hope this holds true!

Another 45 minutes passed and we went back to Maddi who was in a total state of lethargy. I leaned down again, something I seem to do often of late, kissed Maddi on the head and said "you need wake up and drink a few sips of Sprite or Coke". In a low soft dragged tone I could make out she said, "I just want to sleep". Again I said "Maddi you need to wake up drink, it's your ticket out of here, remember I promised you I would take you home" and then the low soft drag turned up, she managed to pull from the depths of her soul a sentence of anger; "you're a meanie head I wanted to go home before my eye hurt" and the tears returned, a very sad pout sprung from her lips which triggered a moan of a piercing headache. A quick shot of Demerol in the IV and she was drifting off again.

Rose stopped by to ask how she was and I said achy, tired and weepy but coherent enough to let me know I am a "meanie head", but assure you I said, "my head may be mean but from the neck down I am pretty nice."

Finally little sips of Sprite from a straw and I dressed Maddi and she was in the wheel chair heading out the door. Now Maddi was nothing more than a wet noodle going for a ride in that four wheeled apparatus but I was keeping my promise and taking her home as requested. I rested her head on my lap in the back seat while our chauffer daddy took our newly perfected babe home to recuperate.

Maddi has been resting quietly in a dark room since we arrived home shortly before 1pm. I check on her often but the signs of her rousing from her sleep look light years away. But when she does wake I have pain killers, Campbell's chicken noodle soup w/ the gold fish noodles and rainbow sherbet waiting to speed up the healing process...oh yes and lots of kisses and hugs!

I speak to soon, 430pm and stumbling out in a zombiesque state she comes clutching her eye.
I will part now to grab my Florence Nightingale garb and go to work…

No comments: