Monday, May 23, 2016

Weekday Recovery

The last few weeks of the school year are proving to be like they always seem to be--laced with nonsense behaviors. I realize every year at this point why I'm given the summers off; to forget the last three weeks of the school year. If I didn't get a break to forget, there's a good chance I'd never return. (Insert my crazed laughter.) Until this Friday, when the final bell rings at 11:05am, my mind will continue to feel like it's on sensory overload. 

In an attempt to refuel my spirt, I'm filling my weekends with as much fun as I can. 

Friday I took to the deck after work for some fresh air and red wine. King Ralph and I then went on a date to a local favorite watering hole for pizza, wings, the Cardinals game...and more red wine. 

Saturday was begging for a mother/daughter date. I summoned the daughters in town to the strawberry fields for some picking. 

King Ralph was working all day...what better excuse for a daughter date?!

When the girls were little we visited the orchards every Fall for apple picking. As the girls grew, their Fall music obligations gave way to dismissing that tradition. While the Spring always offered strawberry picking...not sure why, but we 
never per took. Well, that ended on Saturday! And, my-oh-my, how the orchard has grown into something spectacular! There's a restaurant, a market--filled with a bakery, butcher shop, wine shop (with tastings), vegetables, garden and gift shops, kids play village....  Absolutely delightful. 

Princess A, M and I took the short ride over the river into Illinois and picked and picked. The redder the better the berries, while I sang 

Let me take you down
Cause I'm going to Strawberry Fields
Nothing is real
And nothing to get hung about
Strawberry Fields forever
We starting filling our baskets  
Thirteen dollars and some change later, we were berry rich. 
M and I were serving up strawberry shortcake sundaes for dessert, with store bought pound cake. Princess A whipped up a homemade pound cake, over at her place. I can almost imagine it was better. She just has a way with baking. 
Sunday was a lazy day. Perfectly delightful lazy day! Which means, I'm ready to take on the work week. 

I shall now commence with the final week of nonsense. I mean school. 

1 comment:

Lin said...

Ooooh, I want some of those strawberries...but I don't want to pick them. Would that be a problem???

Just think...I have crazy, but I don't get months off away from these nuts. The crazy just continues all. Freaking. Year.