Monday, April 14, 2008

Gift of Mercy

It was around this time last year when M was confirmed... it was also at a time in her life when she questioned, "why me". The girl who had to have a third eye surgery, the girl who had to wear a back brace, the girl with this problem and that problem. As the confirmation service was coming to a close our minister anointed each one with a special gift that characterized who they each are as a child of God-- M was the given the Gift of Mercy.

Today she questions again "why me"? I remind her of her gift-- the Gift of Mercy. Although today I am the one who is trying like hell to translate that compassion into cheerfully done deeds that reflect Christ's love and alleviate the suffering.

When I went into her bedroom at 6am to see how she was feeling-- if school was a possibility-- I found her flat on her back, no covers, and tears silently rolling down her cheeks. My baby, my love child had not slept all night, lying there in pain from head to toe, never called out to me because; a pediatrician's (not our regular) prescription was to "suck it up". Every mom knows even if you can't heal your child or ease there pain with medications you can at least stake a vigil at the bedside. If nothing else I could have rubbed the 50% of her body not afflicted with the shingles. Sometimes just knowing mom is near helps. I at least believe this. Maybe cause it makes me feel better as a mom. Probably more so because the horrible blistering rash continues to over take half her torso. To which I say stop spreading. Stop. Stop. Stop.

As soon as the clock struck 8am I went in Five-Star General mode. I demanded prescription pain medication. By 330pm another parent, a medical professional, convinced me that M was receiving inadequate care telling me exactly the drug she should be administered. The doctor's office probably has me red flagged as a wench but, I got what I needed, what I wanted. Amen!

M will be taking another day of rest tomorrow, even though she is freaked about missing Algebra and French (which if you ask me that coo-coo French teacher is partly the cause of the shingles, the woman gives me shingles just thinking about her). Sometimes you just need to let the body shut down so it can begin to heal itself.

King Ralph thinks all medications begin healing when served with a favorite food so the menu reads: two Tylenol with Codeine every four hours, Acyclvoir 4x's a day with a side of Spaghetti-o's with meatballs, mac-n-cheese, orange sherbert, Skittles and a Snickers bar...with a side of WWE Monday Night Raw (which I still don't get or understand the love and passion for and probably never will).

Excuse while I leave you... M has, well, expelled some of her favorites-- needs to test my hidden janitorial skills. Poor, poor baby.

Enough I say. Enough!

3 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Oh, poor baby, and the thought of her being there all by herself without calling for you to be with her while she is in pain just makes me feel so sad.

I hope she feels better soon! And amen to sherbet and skittles--that combo sounds great!

JODI said...

We stayed up till 1am last night, woke at 530am...me tired! I couldn't bring myself to go into work today. My own kids are more important than any ole' paycheck! Besides little sleep causes me to a total b*&^% and that isn't good when you work at an elementary school LOL

oakleyses said...

red bottom shoes, oakley vault, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, longchamp outlet online, burberry outlet online, gucci handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, nike air max, louis vuitton handbags, true religion, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet online, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet online, nike free, true religion outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors handbags, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban outlet, coach outlet, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses