Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Celebrating with an alcoholic beverage

Excuse me while I toss back a Smirnoff Ice and sing America the Beautiful-- in celebration of a marvelous feat...I climbed-- as did the spouse and our offspring-- Pikes Peak.

It was an early start, with a ride to the summit on the Cog Railway's 8am train. We snapped a quick photo at the summit sign and we were off.


The first 2 miles were the most difficult-- snowy. Maddi lost her footing on the snow and went for a body surf down the mountain for about, we guesstimated 50-100 ft. When she finally came to a stop we called out to make sure she was okay...she cried because her "hands were cold". Then we felt it okay to laugh a little. Honestly it was rather spooky!


It took us 7 hours (with a 30 minute lunch break at Barr Camp) to hike the 13 miles from Pikes Peak Summit down to Manitou by way of Barr Trail.

(here we are at the end, 13 miles and totally exhausted)


To be honest, as I sip my cocktail, I feel a bit crippled in the feet, legs, hips...hell I feel it from head to toe. I am without a doubt proud of our final adventure on this, Vacation 2007!

1 comment:

oakleyses said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.