Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Lesson in Sex Ed

Here is a conversation D, age 12, had with me yesterday after school while relaxing on the couch after school.

D: did you know you can get pregnant in a hot tub.

J: really, and where did you hear this? And how exactly does it happen?

preparing myself to hear a smutty, rated-x story

D: at the slumber party, one of the girls told us

J: oh wow!...and tell me how does this happen?

D: a guy pees in the hot tub and then it can get in the woman

never mind the male content would boil to death before it reached the tunnel...okay please tell me that the sex ed talk I had with her the week before middle school started was in some way, in some part absorbed...please. please tell me she does not believe this

J: Aaaaahhhh babe you know we talked about this...you know it takes sperm to get pregnant and you know it takes the man's (I used very anatomically correct terms) and a woman's (again used proper terminology) and there must me be....insertion.

You know I hate saying that word but I had to, I had to teach the lesson...the correct way.

(I again gave the sex ed talk in description so to make certain that my child doesn't think next time she is at a hotel pool she'll wind up pregnant)

and with that Princess A can be heard from the kitchen in a panic style tone

A: OH MY GOSH NO-NO-NO Aaaaaahhhhh PLEASE STOP I HATE THESE TALKS Aaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

with that D rises from the couch extends her arm with her palm facing me, fingers stretched out wide moving backwards slowly from the couch

D: I know I know I heard this once before DON'T DON'T no more PLEASE PLEASE

inching ever slowly towards her bedroom till she reaches the door and says her last words

D: that's enough no more!!!

...and the door closes--slam!

My final thought was the girl who gave out this slumber party sex ed information well, she needs a mama to tell her some truthful facts. Or God help her.