Monday, August 17, 2009

The Eve of Back-to-School

The house is silent except for the click-click-click of my fingers on the laptop keyboard. I have no actual desire to be sitting here listening to the abundance of silence that consumes the house, but King Ralph--a man of the white shirt always on call--got a call at 2am that woke us from sound slumber. (For some odd reason I am the only one still affected by the middle-of-the-night wake-up call.)

There is an extra measure of silence to the house knowing Princess A's bedroom is empty; empty of her belongings and being. Strange how the absence of one family member in the house can actually be felt. That's a feeling felt whether it is because one of the kids is off with friends for the night or away at college.

Even though I dread being awake right now I am pleased to report that for the first time in D's life she had a freak-out less eve before school. No melt downs of the past like over gummed reinforceers, necklaces that aren't being shared.... Just a regular, usual, calm evening the night before one of her biggest school eve's in her life-- the night before the first day of high school. I view it as the beginning of the end, the "best days of your life" era; or so they say. I don't know...does this mean my baby girl has really grown up? That she can handle big change in her life now, finally? What ever the reason for the calm nature of her being-- I like this eve of the new school year.

THEN HOW COME KING RALPH'S WORK HAD TO WAKE ME UP? THIS WAS GOING TO BE MY FIRST ALL NIGHT SLEEP ON THE EVE OF BACK-TO-SCHOOL. I WAS SO LOOKING FORWARD TO IT! I HAVE TO GO TO SCHOOL IN THE MORNING TOO! AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

You know what I did on the eve of the first day of school? I cheated on my hair dresser. You would think I should feel guilty but I don't. I have been teetering back and forth whether to cut off my mop of hair and as I walked through the mall with the goal of buying M and D new sneakers (buy one get one half off, a twenty-percent off coupon and $100 dollars later we have sneakers for both) I eyed the Mastercut, breezed in and chop, chop my hair is all gone. Never having been in a Mastercut before I kind of felt like I was in "Missouri Ink". This young staff of coiffures were seriously inked. I wonder if they realize when they are getting their tat on the forearm that in 50 years that artwork will be harboring its lo-cal on the elbow? Or that tat on the breast will be on their hip? That gravity changes everything--including the location of the tattoo. Oh hell "inked up" gave me a feel-good back-to-school haircut. I love my hair! It in no way means I am breaking up with my long time hairdresser. It also means there is no guarentee I won't cheat again.

It's inching closer to 4am and I have to wake, no be alert and cheery in two hours. So I am going to try to fall asleep, again, so I can do the usual first-day-of-school rituals. Smile and say cheese--Mom's got the camera girlies.

Happy First Day--to us all!

2 comments:

Eliza said...

Hopped over here from Lin's blog. :-)

School starts already? That's interesting. In Canada we always start the day after Labour Day. When does school stop? Ours stops the end of June.

JODI said...

Eliza- Yes school started already. It's like this every year. We are done with our school year on May 28. It's a trade off start early end early.