Monday, August 03, 2009

Coming Out of the Dark

Yesterday as I counted the thirty-four staples and six sutures in my mother-in-law's head; I looked at her in her weakened state, she trying to focus her left eye on me and I told her, "mom tomorrow is my birthday when I come to visit you I want you to sing me Happy Birthday so snap out of this." She moaned and groaned some indistinguishable words.

If I would have had a cake, made a wish on my... lots of candles, it would have been for exactly what I saw when I got to the hospital for the evening shift. My mother-in-law made significant progress. Now I am sure if you walked in her room you would think maybe not so...but all of us, her family, oh ya! King Ralph said mom's ICU nurse told him her husband was so excited he stood in her room and cried. Gentle giant. Although we can't always make out what is saying to us she is talking. She is slowly coming out of the dark.