Friday, May 22, 2009

That Favorite Teacher

D had a recent assignment for her English class, an exit project of middle school reflection. Last night I looked over her project doing the thing I love to do--finding grammatical and spelling errors. It was when I came to the section of the project that was a thank you letter to a teacher who somehow touched, inspired the student in her--it got me reflecting...

Mine was my sixth grade teacher, Mr. Brown. He was cool beyond cool. So suave. My Obama. He loved Donna Summer and had an old stereo in his room. Now that was outrageous!, in a good keen way. He meant business though, if you crossed the line, talked too much you were commanded to scribe dictionary page 186; every comma, every semi colon. I wrote that page often for talking. Also my desk was frequently snug next to his to keep my lips from moving and my brain focused. His wife made great sweet potato pie (a perk for having that desk placement). I remember we gave him a party at the end of the school year. We collected money and purchased cool Mr. Brown the newest, hot-off-the-press Donna Summer album and had a cake fashioned into a dictionary opened to page 186. Great how we all have that favorite teacher who transcends learning from just an experience to an adventure. I truly believe it is an important part of all of our desires to want to be educated. My girls if asked, "who was mom's favorite teacher" can tell you; it is "Mr. Brown". I hope he realizes how much he meant to so many kids, kids who were probably to immature to say thank you.

D is my girl who has know since the fourth grade that she was destined for a life in the field of education once marked her path longing to a be a school librarian-- until last year. In no way has she tossed aside or given up her feverish passion for books. No instead she has found a new avenue for her crave to be an educator. Music.

Last year suddenly D announced to me she wanted to be a music teacher. I was not and am not surprised; she loves to play the piano, often bored from the regular and required pieces of her lessons she scourers the Internet purchasing sheet music of movie soundtracks. Of late it has been the music of Pride and Prejudice. Her playing that piece transcends the home into total silence so we can all absorb the tranquility this masterful arrangement offers to the soul and the time she has given to it in an effort to perfect it for performance.

Okay back to the thank you teacher letter... D wrote her thank you letter to her music/choir teacher, Mr. Hutson, her favorite. I too love Mr. Hutson. Since he is also M's color guard instructor I often tell the girls I would love to have him as my brother. They laugh at me. But there is something about his sarcastic humor that is seasoned with his boyish southern charm that grabs. Mr. Hutson calls all his female students "divas." We once had a nice conversation on a band trip bus ride about how he believes every child has a right to experience the fine arts of education, regardless of there talent. Being a middle school choir teacher he gets that...every time he conducts a choir of Peter Brady's in the midst of puberty and finding, hearing something the average listener can't--potential. I read on, how he inspired D to want to be a better singer, a better piano player...that she hopes, she strives to be as good on those black and white keys as he is. That she has valued his guidance, instruction and his humor. Then I felt a tear in my eye. A tear because D has found her Mr. Brown. That she too will most likely one day tell her children all about "Mr. Hutson, her favorite teacher."

Now, who was your favorite teacher?