Sunday, May 10, 2009

I'm a Mother's Day Cynic

Aaaahhh, Mother's Day. My children, and husband know I pretty much loath Mother's Day. Don't take that as I don't love being a mom, because I love being a mom more than anything else in this world; it is the thing that fills me-- body and soul. It isn't even because I had a less-than-adequate mother of my own, no it's because this day is so Hallmark, more of a mother-in-law's day (whom I happen to like very much), so superficial.

I need someone to help me understand why bestowing a potted flowering plant and a card on your mom, cooking her cereal and burnt toast suddenly means everyone should honor the mom--for a day, because the calendar says so? Is it because for that one day it makes those feel better about all the other days of the year they didn't honor the mother? Shouldn't everyday of the year be Mother's Day?

Imagine how great each day would be if mom's didn't have to holler to have children and husband pick up after themselves. Or if trash was emptied because the people of the house saw it needed to be done. That trash cans got to the curb by someone other than a mother. That dinner got cooked by someone other than a tired mom after a long day at work. Imagine if your kids actually desired to learn to cut the grass and then did the chore when the grass neared a height worthy of filed complaint to the county before mom swung into action to save the neighbors from complaint. Imagine. How about if your kids didn't argue everyday, every other day and some days all day. Imagine.

Instead I try to imagine if someone else cooked that dinner to honor the mother-in-law and then did the dishes. Or if people realized beds don't make themselves. And toilets don't get clean just by flushing. Or if a mom wants Kentucky Fried--nasty, greasy-- Chicken she should get it,even if others don't like it (okay so I have had three years to get over that, I should move on).

I've been trying to imagine for nineteen years.

Somehow my dream of a self filling, ass kissing Mother's Day or even an everyday let's-work-together in perfect harmony Mother's Day is so unrealistic that the idea of everyone being all do-good for one day a year is...totally superficial that I cannot stand it.

And I hate superficial! Even if it means the price of Hallmark stock rises in the month of May.

I profess I am a Mother's Day cynic.

But, to those of you who love this day and are mothers I say and wish to you-- Happy Mother's Day.