Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Writing Prompt

Write about a special day you have had. That is what the writing prompt instructed.

As I sat in the silent room watching the pencils draw story webs, scribbling thoughts across lined paper...my mind wandered to its own place--my special day.

1990.

We decided on burritos for dinner. We must have loved the idea of cooking for two because we didn't simplify the dinner crave by passing through a drive-thru. Instead we strolled up and down the isles of our local grocery store grabbing cubes of ground beef, cans of refried beans, lettuce and tomatoes from the produce section. Sour Cream and grated cheddar. Flour tortillas. We even rented a movie.

Two more days we would say as we continued our count down with sheer excitement.

It was when we got home that I realized this dinner for two...well, it wouldn't much longer be just the two of us.

We still cooked those burritos. And, still I ate that burrito. It tasted better than ever.

We watched the movie; what I watched I cannot remember. I do remember pacing the floor, wearing a marked path in that recently laid carpet. I breathed. I panted. He timed. I moaned. Then we agreed, it was time.

I remember the moment we pulled into the hospital parking lot looking at one another and commenting we would walk in as a couple, but leave as a family. An amazing thought.

I labored 6 more hours and all the while he stood by my side-- holding my hand, rubbing my foot, feeding me ice chips. Then the miracle happened.

She burst into this world and made him cry. The only time I have ever seen tears braise his cheeks. The pride. The joy. The love. The miracle. New life.

I coddled that tiny swaddled being in my arms, unwrapping the soft blanket to count the toes. I grazed my pointer finger across her petite delicate lips, then kissed her cheeks--as if to say welcome to this world. My heart was filled with love. A kind of love.

She was mine. Ours. Ever so perfect.

We were now a family.

We planted her. I sprouted her. We have watered her. She has bloomed like a rose.

Happy Nineteenth Birthday Princess A. Love you!