Monday, December 15, 2008

Finding Meaning in Advent


My family attends church on Sunday. We attend Advent worship with our confirmation aged, and youngest, daughter each Wednesday evening. We sit silently while a verse is read from the bible that represents the candle of the Advent wreath-hope, love, joy, peace. Each week we join with the congregation after that lighting in song; celebrating another week of anticipation of the coming of the Lord's birth. Christmas. The real warmth all the candles glow will bring.

Now, I don't often write about what it is I do at work. Mostly because the nature of my job is guarded by privacy acts. But, Saturday morning I readied myself to donate my time for a good cause--Adopt-A-Family.

The school had spent the last month competing to raise funds to purchase gift certificates, donating food and household goods, purchasing specific gifts for a specific--yet unnamed-- individual, family. The signs of a recession showed little. Generosity was abound. The halls of the lower level were stacked tall and wide with boxes; each marked with just a number to represent the family in need. Anonymous they remain to most.

I'm sure we have all done this, donated something during December for someone in need. Giving just brief thought to the nature and meaning of the donation. Probably a feeling of we helped and then going on with our own blessed lives.

Saturday changed that for me.

I carried box after box, bag of presents after bag of present; then I saw the meaning of those Advent candles come to life. I had nearly finished loading a car for a family with young children when I walked to the passenger side of the car to load one last box that had no place to fit in the back. I was lifting one of many bags of presents to slide the box of food under the bag when the mom picking up the donated gifts; and I know believing she was safely alone in her car to shed her emotions of gratitude, turned her head towards me with tears streaming her cheeks. I smiled at her and wished her Merry Christmas. Then I shut the car door.

My heart was humbled.

That mother felt it, the symbols of Advent; the hope that there is goodness in this conflicted world, the love and kindness of strangers, the joy that she would be able to give her children a Christmas unlike one she could provide and peace. Peace of mind? Peace on earth? Just maybe so, if only for her at that moment, in this time.

For me, everlasting.

Several weeks ago someone in my church gave every member of the congreation five dollars to take out into the world and do some goodness. To sprinkle our touch of Advent some where in the community. King Ralph, Princess A, M and D all donated there money to Children's Hospital so they could purchase gifts for the kids who will spend the holiday couped inside lying in a bed. I had different plans.

I am taking my money and buying ice cream for six children who are on the free lunch program. These are the kids who are blocked from being able to purchase snacks. It is so hard to watch a kid want to be just like everyone else, but they can't be because the family finances can't allow.

I hope tomorrow when I buy the ice creams they all love it and they feel the joy a sweet treat can bring. It will give me the peace this season is really all about.


Advent is alive.

4 comments:

thehappyhunt said...

can't wait to hear how those sweet kids love your sweet treat-- you're the best!

Lin said...

And that's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.

Nice story!

oakleyses said...

nike free, louis vuitton handbags, tiffany and co jewelry, jordan shoes, christian louboutin, ray ban outlet, coach outlet store online, tory burch outlet online, true religion, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, burberry outlet online, nike air max, true religion outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada handbags, kate spade outlet online, oakley sunglasses, oakley vault, chanel handbags, coach outlet, red bottom shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet online, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, coach outlet, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet online, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, longchamp handbags, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors handbags, gucci handbags, burberry outlet online, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet store, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet online, kate spade outlet

oakleyses said...

ghd, valentino shoes, birkin bag, ugg soldes, nike huarache, reebok shoes, uggs outlet, north face jackets, lululemon outlet, celine handbags, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, beats headphones, new balance outlet, ugg boots, nfl jerseys, longchamp, ferragamo shoes, uggs on sale, uggs outlet, jimmy choo shoes, ugg boots, herve leger, vans outlet, ugg, p90x workout, insanity workout, chi flat iron, canada goose outlet, mont blanc pens, nike trainers, nike roshe, replica watches, abercrombie and fitch, canada goose outlet, giuseppe zanotti, mcm handbags, hollister, soccer shoes, wedding dresses, soccer jerseys, north face jackets, marc jacobs outlet, canada goose, bottega veneta, asics shoes, mac cosmetics, instyler ionic styler, babyliss