Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Those Forgotten April Holidays

Those forgotten April holidays and I am not just talking April Fools Day, which by the way I seem to forget every year.

I was sitting at my desk yesterday working and listening to the radio when the DJ announced it was "remember your first kiss day." I stopped and let my mind wander back to my freshman year when Jim Clark kissed me in the courtyard of the commons area during a hanger dance. At the time he was the buff jock who made good grades and I was the new girl in school. When the BWFs got back in the office I asked who was their first kiss? Then we started asking everyone who came through the office. There were some good stories of kisses in the back row of the movie theater and kisses in the fifth grade on the playground that got the school hot under the collar. There were some disturbing stories of kisses had way to young. We all remembered that first kiss. We did our part well in celebrating this forgotten gone by the wayside holiday. The laughter we had in our moment of reminiscing made the day.

So then I got to thinking, what other holidays in this month of April are we missing out on?

Not to let "remember your first kiss day" get all the glory this month how about we celebrate these gems as well. Join me in entertaining ourselves this week. Take special notice that today is "Tell a Story Day." The gals and I at work shouldn't have much trouble with this day since we all we love to tell stories.

Do take notice that "National Hairball Awareness Day" takes up two days this
week--Tuesday and Friday, or is that a typo? I think the hairball just doesn't get the respect it deserves. I'm expecting poems from all of you on Wednesday and I suppose you'll find some dancing in our little office on Thursday and, well, us all appreciating great hairstyles on Friday. . And, since it is honesty day if my hair looks like shit I'm expecting those who pass me to tell me. We will celebrate the week's end with a handful of raisins-- the healthy snack that is a good source of iron.

So here you have it, a list of the week's forgotten holidays:
April 26th
Pretzel Day
Hug an Australian Day
Hug a Friend Day
Remember Your First Kiss Day

April 27th
Babe Ruth Day
Tell a Story Day
National Hairball Awareness Day
National Prime Rib Day

April 28th
Kiss Your Mate Day
Great Poetry Reading Day
National Bulldogs are Beautiful Day

April 29th
Shrimp Scampi Day
Dance Day
Zipper Day

April 30th
Honesty Day
Hairstyle Appreciation Day
National Raisin Day
Arbor Day (Always the last Friday in April)
National Hairball Awareness Day (Always the last Friday in April)

Well I should part here, have to stop by the store for some Baby Ruth candy bars to celebrate The Great Bambino's day.

1 comment:

Lin said...

I think I figured out the hairball thing--it takes awhile to get them up, hence the 2 day thing. Just ask my cat.