Friday, April 24, 2009

The Yellow School Bus is Always the Best Option--For Me

If you know me like my kids know me then you know I hate driving the kids to school. I loathe the car pool lanes, I despise parents who can't follow the drop off rules and at the high school I dread contact with the kid who has little parking lot driving experience but had the $60 to buy a parking permit. No matter how much I profess that my tax dollars need to be worked each day by riding the bus or that riding the bus builds character-- every kid needs to learn a delightful limerick of "there once was a man from Havana"; I still get the whiny "come on mom can't you please drive us we hate the bus and our scary bus driver. You know he once was a drug dealer." I do not budge. At 6:50am to the bus stop they go.

Today, yes today I HAD to do the middle school drive. When having to drive one to school means equal treatment is required so I picked up the neighbors and did the high school run too. Mom plays fair. Or at least tries.

You see D (and the eighth grade choir) is leaving for Kansas City this afternoon for a Music in Parks competition. I love Worlds of Fun so I wish I could have chaperoned--unfortunately I used all my time off to have an organ sucked from my inners. I told D, I am gonna piss off all the parents behind me when you have to open the trunk to get your many bags. D was nothing short of a gypsy--carry-on bag, rolling suitcase, backpack, lunch sack, pillow with blanket stuffed in the pillow case... Thankfully the car line was busier than usual since there was a hundred or so other gypsies exiting cars.

Then to the high school.

It was going smooth, trolling right alone. Then in an odd spot the car in front of me stopped to let out teens. As each kid exited M would say hey that's Brian, and Brendan, hey that's Megan, hey that's Kylie. Megan caught glimpse of M and Megan in her usual happy self waved and smiled to M. Then Megan got this startled look of crap I am forgetting something. She looked at M, put her pointer finger to her lip motioning a Sssshhhhh. With that Megan walked to the back of the car opened the hatch to reveal a curled in a fetal position Chelsea, who instantly stretched her legs and popped out of the trunk. All the while Megan kept looking at M with her Sssshhhh. Away they walked in the school and they driver of the car zipped off.

Now I'm wondering, does Chelsea ride like this everyday to school, do they rotate who gets the trunk or was Chelsea an emergency last minute add-in to the high school morning run?

Whatever it is I started my morning with a good laugh paying no attention to the parents who failed to move properly through the drop off lane or even the teen who shouldn't be driving.

With that said, I say TGIF!

4 comments:

thehappyhunt said...

very funny! I love it! I, too, worship the yellow school bus. Since I still have a little guy in bed when the girls leave, they have no option but to ride the bus.
since the bus stop has always been at the end of our driveway, there is NO excuse!

Lin said...

Mine doesn't even ask--he knows the answer. Bus stop is the next house over. I'm confused on how it is not cool to take the bus, but having your mom drive you in a minivan is. Somebody please explain.

JODI said...

Lisa- not to mention your girls' bus driver isn't scary. I think we can all attest to that.

Lin- great point! I am going to find you that answer, even if it means driving them in the mini van to conference the point. You know what I love more...the kid who has a parking permit and has to drive the mini-van to school. LOL

oakleyses said...

red bottom shoes, oakley vault, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, longchamp outlet online, burberry outlet online, gucci handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, nike air max, louis vuitton handbags, true religion, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet online, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet online, nike free, true religion outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors handbags, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban outlet, coach outlet, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses