Monday, April 20, 2009

"I Do" Says My Brother

It was a long time coming--the wedding. The last of the grand kids to get married.

About six years ago I was on the phone with my little brother and I dared to ask him if he was gay. It had been so long since he had a date that I figured maybe. He assured me he was not and was waiting for the right girl to come along. Well, about two years after I asked "the question" she came along--Christine, a lovely woman. Now it didn't take long for little brother to realize he had found his soul mate. It just took a long time to get from the proposal acceptance to the alter. But they got there, finally, this past Saturday. Despite the rain--which is said to be of good fortune on a wedding day--everything was lovely.

The bride beautiful. The bridesmaids lovely...the flower girl stole the show. She thinks her aunt looks as much like a princess as she does. When King Ralph told her that he had a surprise for her (lip gloss and Tic Tacs) if she walked down the isle; she asked her aunt if she could ask King Ralph to call her princess. He obliged.
Jumping with joy. One because the nuptials were over and the rain was taking a brief intermission. When I say brief I mean brief.

Then little brother moved in to sweep his bride off her feet.

Then it was time to get the party started. With a toast,by King Ralph.
Which was followed by little brother pulling me in close to tell me-- "guess what sister, I'm not gay after all", and we both laughed.


We ate, great food. We drank, great booze. We danced--the night away, to fun music. My brother's soulful black neighbor, Rodney, told me I have the sister junk-in-the-trunk but I dance like I am white to the core. He was not as impressed with my "Stanky Leg" as the fifth graders at the school which employs me. I try people, I really do try.
The evening festivities were closed with a dance circle. Rodney got us going...go Rodney, go Rodney.
However, the best part was my eighty-six year old grandmother who sat comfortably still all evening was coaxed out of her chair to the dance circle's center--with a little assistance and her cane to dance for my brother and his bride.

So little brother your two older sisters, old hats at the marriage gig, have photographed there interpretation of marriage for you

And your sister, your favorite sister, and Auntie Loee toast you and Christine...may your marriage be as long and happy as ours have been and continue to be

(note the hand crafted, hand beaded wedding arm sling)

When the evening drew to a close I went home with this guy--not the father-of-the-bride, as the tuxedo shop gal referred to him, but my hubby--of a lot of years.
Babe now that tux cost a pretty penny go ahead and sleep in it.

2 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, funny! I like how you asked him if he was gay--only a sister could do that! Looks like a ton of fun--I'm glad he waited and found just the right gal--and a beauty at that. What a nice happy ending...

Oh--love your dress!

thehappyhunt said...

Great wedding story & pix!! Thanks for sharing. Very fun :)