Wednesday, January 21, 2009

This is all I have to say

I wake this morning, like all Americans to our country being guided by a new man. A man who says he is up for the challenge. (Let the fast track of aging begin). A man that some how has his name on more buttons, hats and T-shirts than any other president. Whose head is immortalized as a Chia Pet.

I am sickened in a time when our country and its people has such deep financial struggles that hundreds of millions of dollars where spent to produce such spectacle and grandeur. I wonder what our fore fathers would have thought. I guess I feel justified to say this because I am one of the few Americans with no credit card debt...actually the only debt my husband and I have is our mortgage and we have money in the bank for those emergencies (which have not yet arouse). Yesterday could have been a day to turn the leaf over and show transition with simplicity.

Yesterday I read a good post Lin logged and this was my response. This will be my only blogged political comment.

I keep repeating these words to people when they say how "historical" today's inauguration was-- We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

If we Americans would believe "all men are created equal" then it wouldn't be about a "black" man becoming president it would be about a man becoming president; and that in itself made today's swearing in of the 44th USA President historical-- as was the first and the forty-third president's inauguration. Pointing out races or genders builds barriers of prejudice.

Now I watched the inauguration, everyone at work did from the five year olds to the...well us grown ups. I watched as I do every four years. I watched because I am an American. I watched because I believe it is just as important to say farewell to one as it is to say welcome and good wishes to the new man and his family.

Our country will only prosper and grow as we believe in our country's greatness together. We are a fractured nation. It was not the fault of one man, Bush. It is the fault of many--politicians and citizens. We will just have sit back and hope everything President Obama spoon fed those who desired change he can bring to fruition.

I say that with a great deal of trepidation.

I want nothing more than goodness for our nation, for our people.

3 comments:

Lin said...

You were so eloquent, Jodi, and I LOVED your comment. I'm glad that you posted it again here. You made some really good points, especially about color. I guess I was going there too, but you got there better and faster than I.

My husband says Obama says a lot of "nice" things that people want to hear, but hasn't quite shown us in the state of Illinois much action. We'll see. Time will tell.

I'm glad you're my bloggy pal!

Anonymous said...

It is easy, when skin color has never mattered to an individual, to forget that for centuries -- and for millions of Americans still -- it has been the sole measure of another person. To forget this is to risk viewing the world through the distortion of the plastic bubble of nearly all-white suburbia. The inauguration marked an important rejection of that thinking and an affirmation of the equality you said the day, with its emphasis on race, overlooked. Yet we, as Americans, have long been obsessed with race. (Your blog post is but one example of this truth.)

I encourage you to consider another take on the a day's significance here: http://writercgbarrett.blogspot.com/2009/01/page-turned.html.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on a historic day.

oakleyses said...

red bottom shoes, oakley vault, louis vuitton outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet online sale, longchamp outlet online, burberry outlet online, gucci handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, nike air max, louis vuitton handbags, true religion, jordan shoes, longchamp handbags, polo ralph lauren, tiffany jewelry, burberry outlet online, coach purses, michael kors outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, michael kors outlet store, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, tory burch outlet online, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet online, nike free, true religion outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors handbags, coach outlet store online, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin outlet, nike outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban outlet, coach outlet, kate spade outlet online, longchamp outlet, ray ban sunglasses