Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Paging Gee-Gee...It's God

We all have treasured memories of our grandmothers, on this day great-grandmothers.

For my maternal great grandmother, whom we all affectionately called Gram--I can still feel the gentle movement of her hand, with her clear coated polished nails tenderly tickle the outline of our faces. She was the world's best tickler...and when anyone of her great grandchildren asked "Gram will you draw my face" she never refused. I can still picture her sitting in her chair in her living room with its apricot color painted walls (those walls never changed color) as we played with metal soldiers from years gone by. I remember our birthday cards always included two crisp one dollar bills and for Christmas a crisp five dollar bill. I remember my cousin Michelle and I sneaking a cigarette behind the funeral home the day of her visitation. We thought we were so under cover teenagers...but we weren't. (Don't worry neither of us smokes).

Treasured memories.

Today--heavy hearted--my daughters and there cousins will be tucking in there hearts treasured memories of there own great grandmother-- whom personally requested prior to A and her cousin Katie's birth to be affectionately referred to as "Gee-Gee".

Gee-Gee will be remembered for her root beer floats. A & M were so disappointed when she moved from her house to the retirement complex, "now we won't have root beer floats when we visit her". No matter what the time of day it was Gee-Gee was prepared to dole out a root beer float to her great grandchildren. Never was a root beer float refused!

I will recall asking Gee-Gee if she would like a cocktail when we gathered for holidays...most of the time she would order a beer, in a glass, with one ice cube. I never bothered to ask why one ice cube (either she wanted her beer watered down or chilled just a bit more). But, whatever the reason it is, the memory I hold in heart.

We last gathered as a family in whole and enjoyed Gee-Gee on Good Friday. She always called, without fail, the next day to say how nice everything was and what a good time she had.

So I speak for Charley, Stephie, Alee, Katie, Maddi, Kellie, Demi Anne, Alyssa, Austin and Jacob by saying thank you Gee-Gee for the memories, thank you for being you!

God, she is yours now. To which I am most positively certain he said to her "Marie, welcome home".

No comments: