Tuesday, October 31, 2006

We didn't carve pumpkins (although I heard a complaint about it just last night), the tomb stones that usually confetti our yard are being held hostage in the garage rafters. Instead I have a morphed plastic jack-o-lantern and an adorable raffia lighted witches hat on my front porch. Of the five trick-r-treaters so far not a complaint of my lack of Halloween spirited decorations--except the moans and howls from my own off spring which I totally disregard.

I have graduated to a new phase in my Halloween life--dog is man's best friend. Thankfully I have Uli [puppy] to keep me company tonight.

No need to brew up the customary Halloween fare-- pot-o-chili and roasted weenies. I had McDonald's toss me-- from the drive-thru window while Demi was at piano lessons --a rather cold Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese. My spousal unit is off protecting and serving (where I am sure he will dole out the customary bags of chips from his squad car) , while our off spring have found new locations to celebrate this ghoulish evening. Alee (the pirate) is headed to I-Hop in full regal, with the "council" (aka her closest friends). While Maddi (the red hat lady) has retreated to a lively neighborhood (of more youthful neighbors) with her posse. Demi (Raggedy Anne) has hooked up with her school chum up the street to scavenger our neighborhood (hoping that the dinosaur couple up the street hands out there famous single piece of Juicy Fruit gum). So that leaves me, a big bowl of candy-- this years treats are DOTS, snickers, sour patch kids, smarties, nerds and for the non candy lover, stickers--and the dog.

I suppose I will scroll the satellite guide for a spooky Halloween movie; say The Shining, Carrie or Bride of Chucky.

Don't feel sorry for me, no sirre, there is a certain calming peace to this new phase in my life, I think I may enjoy it.

Happy Halloween all you ghosts and goblins!